Comic-Con: What You Need to Know
Before you plot your approach to this year’s Comic-Con International in San Diego July 19-23, review this roundup of some of the events planned by Time Warner’s brands and characters. Can’t make it to Cali this year? Never fear, many activities will stream live on social media. Read on!
This year HBO brings Game of Thrones and Westworld to the San Diego Convention Center. On Friday, July 21, some of your favorite characters from Game of Thrones—soon to start its seventh season— participate in a panel moderated by a special surprise guest from Westeros. Panelists include Alfie Allen (Theon Greyjoy), Jacob Anderson (Grey Worm), John Bradley (Samwell Tarly), Gwendoline Christie (Brienne of Tarth), Liam Cunningham (Ser Davos Seaworth), Conleth Hill (Varys) Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark) plus others. Can’t make it there? Follow live coverage on Twitter from @GameofThrones and use #GoTSDCC to join the conversation.
Saturday, comedian Reggie Watts moderates the Westworld panel consisting of creators and showrunners Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy, plus cast members Ed Harris (Man in Black), Luke Hemsworth (Stubbs), James Marsden (Teddy), Thandie Newton (Maeve), Evan Rachel Wood (Dolores) and others. Jump on Twitter to follow the conversation from @WestworldHBO and use #WestworldSDCC.
The cast from both series will be signing autographs at the Warner Bros. booth following their respective panels. Check Comic-Con.org for more information on attending signings.
Report to Hall H July 22 for a showcase of some of Warner Bros.’ most eagerly anticipated films and their stars. Highlights include:
- Ready Player One—based on the hugely popular Ernest Cline novel—with director Steven Spielberg, and actors Tye Sheridan, Olivia Cooke and T.J. Miller, plus author/co-screenwriter Cline and co-screenwriter Zak Penn on hand;
- Blade Runner 2049, the long-awaited sequel to the cult classic with stars Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford, as well as Ana de Armas, Sylvia Hoeks, Robin Wright, Lennie James and Mackenzie Davis, writers Hampton Fancher and Michael Green, and director Denis Villeneuve;
- And Ben Affleck, Gal Gadot, Jason Momoa, Ezra Miller and Ray Fisher talking all things Justice League, plus an early look at director James Wan’s Aquaman.
On top of all that awesomeness, Warner Bros. is hosting several activities around town. Horror fans can check out a screening of Annabelle: Creation July 19 at the Westfield Horton Plaza, followed by a Q & A with director David F. Sandberg and the film’s stars. Keeping it creepy is FLOAT: A Cinematic VR Experience inspired by the film IT, located at the Interactive Zone. No badge is required to attend.
If animation is more your jam, join a panel for The LEGO® Ninjago Movie July 20. You’ll get to hear Dave Franco, Justin Theroux, Abbi Jacobson, Olivia Munn, Kumail Nanjiani, Michael Peña, Zach Woods and producer Dan Lin discuss the newest addition to the LEGO® franchise, and receive an exclusive gift.
Warner Bros. Television Group has a huge slate of activities planned, including exclusive screenings, presentations and Q & A sessions for Big Bang Theory, Justice League Action, iZombie, Riverdale and much more. Get WBTV’s full Comic-Con schedule here.
Comic-Con would not be complete without a massive showing from the World’s Greatest Super Heroes, care of DC Comics. For the first time, DC All Access will broadcast live, straight from the DC booth. Expect hourly interviews Thursday and Friday with some of the biggest names in comics, plus breaking news. Other highlights:
- The countdown to Doomsday Clock continues with a panel featuring writer, producer and DC Entertainment President and Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns, along with DC Publisher Dan DiDio, Thursday, July 19.
- Friday, get the inside scoop on upcoming Dark Nights: Metal with writer Scott Snyder and artist Greg Capullo, plus surprise guests. They will share more details about summer’s must-read Batman event and this new, artist-driven line of comic books.
- A spectacular display of new costumes and props from the upcoming Justice League movie, plus a not-to-be-missed signing with the film’s stars Saturday.
- The celebration of the 25th anniversary of Harley Quinn, featuring a celebration with her co-creator Paul Dini, and Amanda Conner, Frank Cho and Chad Hardin and other writers and artists who have helped keep Harley in our hearts over the years.
This is but a taste of what DC is offering during Comic Con. Be sure to download the free DC All Access mobile app for a complete list of panels signings, coverage and interviews.
This year, Adult Swim brings favorites like Robot Chicken, Rick & Morty and Mike Tyson Mysteries to Comic-Con, plus The Jellies! a new animated series from Tyler, The Creator and Lionel Boyce. Fans will get a first look at all-new programming during celebrity-filled panels and enjoy free signings with series stars, creators and producers. Spend a leisurely afternoon outside with Adult Swim on the Green, featuring games, prizes and live streams, all located behind the convention center. Learn more about that, plus Adult Swim’s entire Comic-Con schedule here.
Conan O’Brien makes a triumphant return to San Diego this year, where he will tape a week’s worth of episodes from the Spreckels Theatre. To mark the occasion, Conan will once again be immortalized with a set of four Pop! Vinyl figures from Funko. Get all the details from the man himself in this announcement, plus learn more about Conan’s Comic-Con shows here.
Cartoon Network promises a heroic event featuring all kinds of goodies, including panels and signings with the actors and creators of Steven Universe, Ben 10 and newest series OK K.O.! Let’s Be Heroes. Masquerade as your favorite character at the Cartoon Network screening and Costume Ball July 20. There, fans have a chance to win prizes while catching sneak peeks of the network’s newest shows. Guests receive a special gift when visiting the OK K.O.! Let’s Be Heroes booth, and don’t miss Jake the Dog and Finn the Human Uglydolls, available only at the Adventure Time booth.
We'll be keeping tabs on everything going on at Comic-Con, so be sure to check back for updates.