Remember that Rick & Morty mash-up with Alien: Covenant earlier this year? Ignite—Turner’s ad unit focused on branded content and data solutions—helped bring that entertaining nugget to your social media stream. And it turned out to be one of 2017's top branded posts so far.
While you’ve probably noticed the recent proliferation of TV networks' branded content on social, the question remained whether it’s a big bang for advertiser’s buck. But it's a question no more: Ignite’s Dan Riess and Jason Klein of ListenFirst (a social analytics and insights company) collaborated on a study—published this week in Ad Age—to determine what content most engages consumers on social media. Their findings in a nutshell:
- Video is the most engaging post type
- Premium social handles drive engagement: audiences will watch content from their favorite shows whenever and wherever they can get it
- Quality content keeps users engaged
- Data should be leveraged to identify and connect with fans: great content must be seen by the right people
- Advertisers can diversify distribution among programming genres: that means sports and dramas
To dig deeper into the data behind the bullet points, read "No Longer a Digital Native’s Game: TV Fuels Social Branded Content" in Ad Age.