Did you hear the news?
WarnerMedia's Turner has secured the worldwide media distribution rights to “The Match,” an historic head-to-head, 18-hole duel between Tiger Woods vs. Phil Mickelson. The showdown between two golfers—who have won a combined 19 Majors—will be hosted by MGM Resorts International and held Thanksgiving weekend at Shadow Creek in Las Vegas. The winner will pocket (metaphorically, of course) $9 million.
The Woods-Mickelson live event and accompanying content – collectively offering unprecedented access leading up to and during the competition – will be distributed across wide-ranging Turner, WarnerMedia and AT&T platforms including:
- Live pay-per-view coverage of the event will be distributed through Turner’s B/R Live, the company’s new premium live sports streaming service, AT&T’s DIRECTV, AT&T U-verse, and will be offered to other on-demand platforms.
- HBO Sports and its groundbreaking 18-time Sports Emmy ® Award-winning 24/7 reality franchise will capture all the excitement leading up to the match.
- Bleacher Report and its wildly-popular House of Highlights, which recently surpassed 10 million followers on Instagram, will offer comprehensive highlights and behind-the-scenes content.
- Turner’s TNT will also televise programming with select content from the event in the weeks following the live competition.
- Turner International will facilitate distribution of live PPV access to the event outside the U.S.
As part of the live event, both Woods and Mickelson will selectively make side-challenges during the match. For instance, Woods or Mickelson could raise the stakes by challenging the other to a long-drive, closest-to-the-pin or similar competition during a hole as they play their match, with money being donated to the winning golfer’s charity of choice.
B/R Live, Turner’s new premium live sports streaming service, is available at https://live.bleacherreport.com; by downloading the B/R Live app through iTunes or Google Play; and/or via Apple TV, the Roku platform and Amazon Fire TV.
Stay alert for more information, and see the full press release here.