Holy celebration, Batman! Batman has been fighting crime since 1939, and DC is throwing a party worldwide to celebrate.
While the focus is on Batman’s birthday in March and Batman Day in September, the festivities go all year long and kick off this weekend at SXSW in Austin Texas. The party begins with plenty of photo opportunities, exclusive merchandise, and a mural by a local artist. SXSW will also feature over 1.5 million bats taking to the night sky over Austin’s Congress Bridge in honor of everyone’s favorite bat hero.
Batman’s birthday bash continues in the month of March as DC releases the hardcover “Detective Comics: 80 Years of Batman the Deluxe Edition” and the special collector’s issue of “Detective Comics #1000.” On March 30, Batman’s actual anniversary, WonderCon in Anaheim, Calif., will host a “Happy Birthday, Batman!” panel.
Throughout the months of March and September, Batman-themed programming will run on Cartoon Network, DC Universe, a Batman-branded channel with AT&T platforms, and a variety of television broadcast partners across the globe.
All of the events throughout the year will lead up to a special honor on Sept. 21, Batman Day, in which the Bat-signal will shine bright in major cities worldwide.
Here’s a list of all of the Bat-centric events, experiences, and more throughout the year:
- Romics convention in Rome, Italy to host an immersive Batman 80th anniversary exhibit
- Boys & Girls Clubs of America Batman-themed campaign to celebrate kids, teens and youth development professionals standing up for positive change in their communities
- MONDO art gallery in Austin, Texas, to display a curated anniversary exhibit
- DC partnership with USO for a Batman-themed USO2GO kit with comics, movies, games, and more for service members stationed around the globe
- Shanghai special exhibit celebrating Batman
- Six Flags theme park locations in North America and Warner Bros. theme parks internationally—including Australia, Madrid, and Abu Dhabi—to have Batman celebrations
- Madame Tussauds locations in Orlando, Fla., and Sydney, Australia, will present interactive fan experiences and photo opportunities
- The Art of the Brick: DC Super Heroes will premiere an exclusive Batman edition of the global touring exhibition, starting its tour in São Paulo, Brazil
- An exclusive Batman shirt to wear on Jeans for Genes Day in the UK, raising awareness of Genetic Disorders UK
Additional celebration information will be announced throughout the year.