Zoinks! ‘Scooby-Doo’ turns 50 with free streaming and surprises, plus we rank the villains!
It all began as a simple premise way back in 1969… four teenagers and a talking dog solving mysteries in a psychedelic van. Fast forward 50 years, and those same teenagers are still solving mysteries with the help of that very same talking dog, Scooby-Doo. Sure, now they have modern conveniences like GPS and cell phones, but everything else remains the same (including Fred’s stylish ascot).
And now, to commemorate Scooby’s 50th birthday, Boomerang is giving you the chance to experience the magic of Scooby-Doo for free, all weekend long. From Friday, Sept. 13 – Sunday, Sept. 15, every episode and movie featuring Scooby and the gang will be completely free to stream! So, if you missed that classic episode teaming Scooby-Doo with those wacky Harlem Globetrotters, don’t sweat it, Boomerang has you covered.
Warner Bros. Consumer Products is also getting in on the fun, giving fans 50 days of surprises. The countdown kicked off right here on July 26 and will culminate on Scooby’s birthday, this Friday, Sept. 13. Classic and original digital content, Scooby-Doo inspired products (including food, games and apps), as well as various partnerships and retail experiences, will all be revealed during the 50 days. During the week leading up to the big day, a party pack will be available on the calendar, so families can celebrate Scooby’s birthday at home. You can let your mystery flag fly with custom party invites, munchies recipes, Mystery Gang and monster masks, Scooby-Doo bingo, coloring pages and more.
So, to help celebrate this amazing milestone, we decided to give some love to a very underappreciated set of characters from the show – the villains! Sure (SPOILER ALERT!), they are all unmasked to reveal local business owners and other misguided citizens, but that doesn’t mean they still aren’t scary and totally amazing. So, let’s go back in time to that very first season of “Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!” and rank the top 10 villains.
10. Werewolf – He’s green, which doesn’t really make much sense, but he does look like Michael J. Fox in Teen Wolf, so there’s that.
9. Snow Ghost – When you’re on a ski lodge getaway, the last thing you want to encounter is this guy. SPOILER ALERT: Never trust the weird lodge owner. Never.
8. Carlotta the Gypsy – You have to hand it to the master of disguise, Big Bob Oakley – he came up with FOUR costumes to scare people off. That’s dedication to your scheme.
7. Charlie the Funland Robot – He was actually a robot, not a person in disguise. Plus, hearing old lady Jenkins pronounce robot as “robe-it” is endlessly entertaining.
6. Miner 49er – Can’t see his eyes and can’t see his mouth through all that facial hair – no wonder all we could hear from him were grunts.
5. Creeper – This guy had the nerve to interrupt one of the grooviest, late-60s dance party scenes in cartoon history. Now THAT is a villain.
4. Spooky Space Kook – That name alone puts it on our list. And have you heard that creepy, high-pitched laugh???
3. Puppet Master – Let’s be honest, if you met this creepy-looking guy out of his costume, and he told you he was a puppet master, you’d be more than a bit sketched out.
2. Ghost of Elias Kingston – Go ahead, try and come up with a better name for a scary villain. Seriously, we’ll wait.
1. Ghost Clown – Do we even need to justify this one? Clowns are creepy anyway, but look at that face! And to top it off, he was just as creepy-looking without the makeup!